100 Layers Challenge
If you are at all familiar with the YouTube community (or I guess the social media community in general, but just especially the YouTubers), you will know that they love a good “challenge.” We all remember the cinnamon challenge, and who could forget the literally bone-chilling ALS ice bucket challenge? Well, they’re back at it again, with a challenge more interesting than ever - the 100 layers challenge.
It all began about two months ago when a YouTuber by the name Simply Nailogical blew the minds of viewers when she applied 100+ layers of polish to her nails, creating what became known as “polish mountain.” Since then, others have done their own version of the challenge by applying 100 layers of whatever they please- lipstick, mascara, t-shirts, self tanner, even slices of cheese on a sandwich. Today, I decided that I would tackle this challenge in my own way, by giving you 100 layers of Lexie. While some of you know me personally, I know that others of you do not. It is my hope that today, we can get a little more personal, as you will learn 100 things about me that you may not have known before.
Here goes nothing.
1. My full name is Lexie Corrinne Pelchen. No, my first name is not Alexis, Alexandra, or any other variation of the sort. It’s just Lexie. And yes, my middle name is actually spelled with two r’s and two n’s.
2. If you haven't already noticed, I love cats much more than I will ever love dogs… or probably anything else on Earth for that matter.
3. The first concert that I ever attended was New Kids On The Block.
4. My favorite concert that I ever attended was Panic! At The Disco.
5. My favorite words are “triskaidekaphobia” (However, I am not triskaidekaphobic) and “inspire.”
6. I can’t whistle.
7. One of my biggest pet peeves is when someone starts to tell me something, and then says “never mind.” – JUST TELL ME.
8. My favorite bands are The 1975 and The Rocket Summer.
9. The deaths of Michel Jackson and Prince seriously affected me.
10. I have to really think about when to use “affect” and when to use “effect.”
11. I grew up with a Catholic/republican father and a Jewish/democratic mother.
12. I studied the Hebrew language for four years.
13. When I was thirteen I had a Bat Mitzvah.
14. However, when it comes to religion, I consider myself agnostic.
15. When I was in fifth grade I broke my arm riding a bike.
16. I did not pass my permit test the first time I took it.
17. One of the first goals I ever set for myself was to write a book, and this is still a goal of mine.
18. My favorite number is 18.
19. The bee is not my only tattoo; I actually have a total of three.
20. I feel passionately about the fact that I think The Cab is one of the most underappreciated bands of all time.
21. When I went out on my 21st birthday, I only had one drink.
22. In the next six month I will either be living in London or New York.
23. I have become infamous for basically not having seen any movie ever.
24. I have also become infamous for being the best road trip DJ ever.
25. I sang karaoke once in my life. The song was “Bohemian Rhapsody” by Queen.
26. One of my biggest fears in life is being embarrassed.
27. I’d rather be cold than hot.
28. If I could have dinner with one person, dead or alive, I would pick my grandfather Fred, who I unfortunately never had the privilege of meeting.
29. If I could have cocktails with one person, dead or alive, I would pick Sarah Jessica Parker.
30. I pride myself in knowing ever word to “Party Up” by DMX.
31. I still sleep with my stuffed dog who is creatively named “puppy.”
32. I have been in love.
33. That being said, I am currently single AF and happy.
34. My most recent proudest achievement was running under a 10 minute mile, three days in a row. My time is currently down to around 9 minutes and 10 seconds! YAY
35. My favorite movie is 10 Things I Hate About You.
36. Never have I ever smoked a cigarette.
37. I am 5’2”.
38. I am lactose intolerant.
39. The only food on the planet that I will not eat is bananas.
40. I can speak German almost fluently.
41. My favorite show of all time is Gilmore Girls.
42. The most recent movie I watched was Sixteen Candles, and this was the first time that I had ever watched it.
43. I am acrophobic and claustrophobic.
44. There was a time in my life when I suffered from anxiety.
45. I have an obsession with the art of written word, so much so that I have saved every letter that has ever been written to me in my entire life.
46. My preferred way to eat soup is out of a coffee mug.
47. I think you can tell a lot about a person from their preferred peanut butter to jelly ratio. In my opinion, there should always be more jelly than peanut better.
48. My favorite quote is “I just want to make beautiful things, even if nobody cares.” – Saul Bass
49. My second favorite quote is “Toast can’t never be bread again.” –Pennsatucky Orange Is The New Black.
50. I have come to hate the act of putting on makeup.
51. If I had the guts, I would dye my hair red.
52. I can eat off of other people’s forks, but not spoons.
53. I wear contacts.
54. I prefer vanilla to chocolate.
55. I am very concerned about our political future.
56. I got straight A’s once in my life, and it was my last semester of college.
57. I am partially colorblind.
58. My favorite holiday is Thanksgiving.
59. I believe in the celebration of half birthdays.
60. I know all of the Presidents in order until Eisenhower. For some reason I can never remember those after him, but I’m making it my goal to learn the rest by the end of the year.
61. I hate being scared.
62. My signature scent is Wood Sage & Sea Salt by Jo Malone.
63. The only television show that I religiously watch is Pretty Little Liars.
64. I have one slightly crooked tooth and I am extremely self-conscious about (I blame my dog for eating my retainer).
65. One of my biggest regrets in life is quitting piano lessons.
66. I used to play the electric guitar.
67. I have literally no musical talent at this point in my life and I would like that to change.
68. I relate to Ted Mosby on a spiritual level.
69. My favorite color is blue.
70. I think I am the funniest person I know.
71. I used to collect snow globes and bottled water.
72. I currently collect champagne corks.
73. I once had a pet iguana named Iggy (once again, with the really creative pet names).
74. I love chips.
75. My nails and toes are never painted the same color.
76. My favorite song is “Like I Can” by Sam Smith.
77. My favorite place to shop is JCrew.
78. I am feminist as fuck, and to me that means I support the social, political and economic equality of the sexes. That is all.
79. I do believe in ghosts.
80. I prefer salty to sweet.
81. I have been to Europe.
82. I love to cook.
83. My favorite outfit is my hot pink Tobi dress and my gold glittery Kate Spade bow heels.
84. One of my favorite things ever is the breaking of the fourth wall.
85. I have lived in the same house for my whole life.
86. I am not typically an easy crier.
87. One of my most prized possessions is an apothecary jar full of rocks, each one with a hand written message on it from my friends and family members.
88. I believe in fate.
89. I have read all of the Harry Potter books numerous times.
90. I had a “punk” phase.
91. I only like to shop when I’m in the mood to shop.
92. I am extremely grateful that I grew up with a sibling.
93. I hate the flavor of artificial orange.
94. In high school, I was on the mock trial team.
95. If I had a theme song, it would be the Lea Michele version of “Don’t Rain On My Parade.”
96. I can only snap my fingers on my right hand.
97. I used to be completely terrified of all amusement park rides. Now I’m only partially terrified of most of them, but am still completely terrified of Ferris Wheels.
98. I HATE being sticky.
99. I used to have my tongue web pierced.
100. I think my mom is a total badass and I hope that someday I can be just like her.
So, do you feel like you know me better now? I have to say, I really thought it was going to be a lot more difficult to come up with 100 facts about myself, but truthfully, it was not much of a “challenge” at all.
Until next week, bees.